Wednesday 25 November 2009

The inner game of tennis or inner game of life


Reflections on the inner game of tennis. I read it many years ago. I'm now re reading it. I feel like looking back over what I have learnt since and what it reminds me of.

for starters P17 has a quote. 


The backhand can be used to advantage only on a tennis court,  but the skill of effortless concentration is invaluable in whatever you set your mind to.
The correlation for me is not just abiout tennis. It talks about life lessons which I've been learning. Particularly over the last 10 years or so. I think it started with my A levels. They were the first time I really tried hard over a long period of time for anything. I got such great results I seem to have adopted this approach for everything since.


The last few years for me have been about learning not to try so hard all the time and to trust myself more. It's funny that already in chapter 2 this point is picked up.

P22 there are quotes from Dr T. Suzuki who wrote zen and the art of archery. Makes me feel  I should read it as it inspired this book.



20091130
Got a bit further into the book and got inspired to check out the inner game web site. Found the history page which gives background to why I use the inner game principles in all aspects of life and also why sports science combined with education is such a powerful set of tools.


Then found a wonderful article explaining how the inner game can apply to work not just tennis. It reflects just what I've been doing my entire career. Applying the principles you learn through sport, those of maximising human performance, I find the lesson of the inner game I've learnt through my love of sports and sports science. Sicne it's about achieving results in any situation I naturally apply this to work.I find I get great results. 


From my searches I also discovered a new sport psychology site that has articles on the inner game.  


Thanks to you tube I also found a video in two parts of a tennis lesson just 20 minutes in length showing the inner game philosophy delivered by Tim Gallwey. I just love to see people learn so fast.







No comments: