Monday 10 March 2014

Migrate from Blogger to Wordpress

I've migrated my wordpress.com blog Lifeasplay to self hosted wordpress at play.fit2thrive.co.uk. The next step is migrating my blogger sites to self hosted wordpress.

I started with the same plugins as my other site. Then looked to import from Blogger.

I'm starting with competitiveurge.co.uk. I search for export blogger to wordpress.

So here's the process I'm using to migrate.
Importing the posts went pretty easily

Update Wordpress

For each new wordpress install I created my first task was to update it to the latest version. I consistently found that I would kick off the install process and no progress would occur. I would just see the message downloading wordpress.

What should happen is that the page slowly fills with all the completed update tasks and then an upgrade complete message appears. This generally didn't happen. The quick fix I found was to install another plugin and then come back and update wordpress. I reasoned that the update process was either not configured correctly first time or caching faulty data. Updating a plugin reset the process and it worked fine after that.

I don't know if this is specific to my hosting. I'm surprised I had problems with such a basic process as upgrading a fresh install but I share this incase it helps anyone.

Pages

These weren’t imported  by the importer so I just created and moved them myself.

Settings

general/basic

Copy the site name and tagline from blogger to wordpress

Theme

I need to find something suitable. My http://thecompetitiveurge.blogspot.co.uk/ template had a specific image.

Redirection

I need to finish the redirection part of the guide. I adjusted the permalink structure. Now I need to adjust the blogger template to redirect to http://compete.fit2thrive.co.uk/

Statistics

How do I get them from blogger?

Promotion

Promotion and redirection is the same for my self hosted wordpress site
  • Directories:I signed up competitive urge with a bunch of blogging directories. These need changing
  • social accounts: Adjust my blog url on sites like favebook. twitter, gplus




No comments: