Wednesday 5 March 2014

Migrating from wordpress.com to self hosted wordpress

I've migrated my wordpress.com blog Lifeasplay to self hosted wordpress at play.fit2thrive.co.uk so I thought I would share the process.

To make the process smooth I follow the excellent guide Going self-hosted: my step-by-step guide for wordpress.com users.

The extra details I would add are the plugins I have installed. Being a newbie to wordpress I'm going with the basic plugins I've been recommended. If you are like me I though this would be helpful. Most of these were recommended by the majority of people, books and blogs I consulted.

Plugins 

  • Jetpack: An amazing plugin that seems to do everything
  • All In One SEO Pack
From the book word press for beginners
  • Google XML Sitemap 
  • wp dbmanager 
  • contact form 7 
  • wp policies: Pages are hidden by default. Add them to the theme footer. The Plugins main page tells you how 
Security

Wordpress isn't very secure by default. A friend suggested these plugins to lock it down.
  • BulletProof Security 
  • Look-See Security Scanner 
  • WP-Sentinel 

Promotion

What I still have to do is tell the world my blog has moved
  • Add to blog lovin and the other blog sites I have registered with
  • Submit the site xml through Google webmaster if the plugins haven't already done this.

No comments: