Wednesday 18 November 2009

Will google voice ever come to the UK?

That's the question I've been asking ever since I got my invite and found I couldn't sign up cos I'm in the UK. Boo. Still, lagging behind America is becoming the norm for Google services.I don't blame google, it's natural they'd get it working in their own back yard first. I'm just jealous to hear people using it and saying how great it is.

Turns out I'm not the only one wondering either.  I don't want to signup by trickery but I do like. what did surprise me is that there are already companies providing a similar service to Google voice in the UK. Switchboardfree seem interesting and have got me thinking. Firstly I might look into signing up. I just don't want to pay much more than I already do and I need to know I can still use it when I change contract.

It also shows that Google voice has a viable route to market in the UK which until now I thought would be a minefield. I'm really getting the impression that Google buys innovative startups to achieve such enormous growth so quickly, that's the standard technique all companies use isn't it. Thus the presence of atleast one but probably several just raises the question which one will Google approach or have already approached?

No comments: